Monday, December 20, 2010

Winter Wonderland Adventure Part 2

Here's part 2 of my winter wonderland adventure! Click here for part 1

As I said last time, I decided to investigate the rustle of noise I had heard ahead of me on the trail. Sure enough, when I got close enough to see, there were brand new deer tracks all across the trail.




I tried to follow the tracks to see if I could get a picture of the deer, but they ran into this thicket and disappeared.


So I moved on, and came to a pretty bend in the river.


And this fountain, which smelled like eggs.


I decided I didn't want to stick around the egg fountain, so I kept going. This tree wasn't a new discovery, it's one of my favorite trees in the park. It's growing right out of the hill!


I saw a familiar trail marker and decided to take it. I was getting kind of hungry, so I figured the bridge would be a good place to stop and eat lunch.


How pretty! I was betting that it would be nice and dry inside there too.


Ooh and they even laid down some nice hay on the ground to keep it warm... wait a minute...


What is THAT? On the ground... in the hay? It must be one of those creatures previously thought to only exist in ridiculously cute anime films. What we have here is a bona-fide wild puffball.


Oh, wait a minute! That's just a little raccoon! And he looks sleepy.


This little guy was completely unconcerned about my presence in his newfound home. Every once in a while he would do just this; wake up, groom a little, look around, look at me...


And then curl right back up into a ball.


I waited around for a while to see if he'd wake up and move around a bit, but he stayed promptly curled up and looked rather cozy.


So, not wanting to disturb him, I decided to leave this trail for another day.


Bye, little guy!


Thankfully I had my footprints to guide me back, as I came to a few crossings where I just know I would've taken the wrong route if it wasn't marked out for me.


On my way out I took the time to shake some snow off of these trees. (Before)


(After) Those are some much happier looking trees.


That's all for the "Adventure" part of the series. The "Wonderland" part, which I'll be posting later this week, is a compilation of my favorite higher quality photos from the day. I hope you're having as much fun as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment